LYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"LYTHE, (given as "LEITH") a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in the liberty of Whitby-Strand, is noted for allom mines; in which abundance of hands were employed by the late D. of Bucks to dig, and hew it out of the rock that hangs over the sea. To fit it for use, it is burnt, then steeped in pits of water, and afterwards boiled and clarified, as we find it."
"MULGRAVE CASTLE, in the parish of Lythe, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, 2 m. from Whitby, was the seat of the Sheffields Ds. of Buckingham, to whom it gave title of Earl."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]