Mickleby Congregational Church History


Mickleby Congregational Church History up to 1868.



This congregation had its origin in the house of M. Trowsdale, Esq., of Ugthorpe, a neighbouring village, where, in 1803, Rev. J. Arundel, then minister of Silver Street Chapel, Whitby, held occasional religious services. It was resolved to engage a suitable person to preach, and to evangelize the surrounding villages. The Rev. M. Docker was employed for that purpose in 1809, and his services were greatly blessed. The foundation of the present chapel was laid in 1811. The ministers have been-
  • 1813. Rev. -- MAITLAND.
  • During his residence a Sunday-school was commenced.
  • Rev. -- SUGDEN. "A man of missionary spirit."
  • Rev. J. HAIGH. Here in 1824. Rev. -- AIDEN. He continued three or four years.
  • Rev. W. HACKETT. His ministry lasted for ten years.
  • Rev. W. BEARPARK, who preached for eleven years.
  • 1861. Rev. R. S. LEWIS. He removed in 1865 to Nantwich.
  • No minister was appointed for two years.
  • 1867. Rev. J. JEFFERSON. The present minister (in 1868).
There are several neighbouring villages under pastoral inspection.

* By aid of Rev. J. Jefferson.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.