Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: MALTON. Church dedication: ST. LEONARD AND ST. MICHAEL. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 110 acres. Rydall wapentake. Population, 4,173 *1; Church-room, 1,450; Net value, vide Old Malton. -There was a castle, or house embattled, founded in the Borough of New Malton, in which castle was a Chapel dedicated to the honour of St. James, wherein was a Chantry founded.
" The Church of St. Mary the Virgin in New Malton hath," says Torre, " no incumbent endowed, but is served by a stipendiary Curate."
Ryton, a town in the parish of Old Malton, contained six carucates of land, whereof eight made a knight's fee, held of the fee of Nevill ; whereof the Prior of Malton held two oxgangs, and John de Ryton held six oxgangs of William de Habbeton, who held of the heirs of Nevill, and they of the King in capite, rent 5s.
Also Walter de Percy held three carucates, (where six made a knight's fee) of the fee of Lutterell, and the heirs of Lutterell held the same of the King in capite, and answered for half a knight's fee.
The two Churches are held conjointly with Old Malton.
Patron, vide Old Malton.
The Curacy was valued in 1707, at £16. 13s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £117 per annum.
Augmentation, vide Old Malton.
There was a Chantry at the altar of St. John the Baptist in this Church, which was valued at the Dissolution at £5. 4s. 8d. per annum.
26th July 1766, 24th July 1789, and 30th August 1813, burial grounds were consecrated at St. Leonard's.
2nd June 1809, faculty to new pew St. Leonard's Church and erect galleries.
20th June 1798, faculty to erect galleries in St. Michael's Church.
Glebe house, vide Old Malton.
The Register Books for St. Leonard commence in 1600; and for St. Michael, in 1570.
rent charge of £1 per annum, out of a house in the Low Street in Malton, the property of Earl Fitzwilliam, to the overseers of the poor, and is applied by them with the poor's rate. It is unknown when or for what purposes this rent charge was given : it has been applied as long a time as can be traced in the same manner as at present. -Vide 17th Report, page 673.
A Post town.
Torre's MS., page 351. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 306-353.
*1 Viz. St. Leonard, 2,573; and St. Michael, 1,600.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.