The Ancient Parish of MARRICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARRICK, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles ESE. of Reeth. The Church is a perpetual curacy dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Richmond, diocese of Chester. Patron, Josiah Morley, Esq.
Marrick is situated on the northern banks of the Swale, below which is the church, being the nave of the chapel that belonged a Nunnery of Benedictine Nuns, founded here in the latter end of the reign of king Stephen, by Roger de Ask. It was, according to Dugdale, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but according to M S S in the Bodleina Library, to St. Andrew., This house had the king's license to continue after the dissolution of lesser houses. It was surrendered by Christabella Cowper, the Prioress and sixteen Nuns, November 17th, 1540, the 31st. Henry VIII. The site was granted to John Uvedale, The yearly revenues were rated by Speed at œ64 8s 9d. The Hospital on Stanemore belonged to these Nuns. -Burton, -Burnett.
There is an institution here, called the Duke of Bolton's charity, for the benefit of two poor widows not receiving parochial relief, which amounts to £5. 12s. per annum. Population including the small hamlets of Hurst, Shaw, Oxque, Owlands and Ellers, 621."
"HURST, in the parish of Marrick, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 3¼ miles NW. of Marrick, 3 miles NNE. of Reeth. Pop. included with Marrick."
"INGS HEAD, a farm house in the township of Hurst, and parish of Marrick; 2½ miles NNW. of Marrick, 2 miles NE of Reeth, 7 miles from Richmond."
"MARRICK ABBEY, a farm house in the township and parish of Marrick; ¾ mile WSW. of Marrick, 3 miles from Reeth."
"MARRICK PARK, (the seat of Josiah Morley, Esq.) in the township and parish of Marrick; ¾ mile E. of Marrick, 4 miles ESE of Reeth, 9 from Richmond."
"OWLANDS, or EWELANDS, a farm house in the township of Hurst, and parish of Marrick; 3 miles from Reeth, 7 from Richmond."
"OXQUE, 2 farm houses in the parish of Marrick, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles E. of Reeth. This hamlet is known as the residence of the late Mr. Thomas Forcett, a gentleman who justly received many honourable testimonies from the society of promoting Arts and Sciences in London, for his skill in the management of bees."
"WASH FOLD, a hamlet in the township of Hurst, and parish of Marrick; 3¼ miles NNW. of Marrick, 2½ miles NNE of Reeth, 10 from Richmond."
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Hurst: Complete from 1841 to 1901
- Marrick: 1841, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
- Transcript of the entry for Marrick in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marrick.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marrick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE078982 (Lat/Lon: 54.37924, -1.881421), Marrick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: