MARRICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MARRICK, a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Richmond, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Swale, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Hurst, where there are lead mines at present worked with considerable advantage. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of-Ripon, value £98. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The church stands partly on the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded by Roger de Aske in 1165. The parochial charities produce about £5 18s. per annum, with the Duke of Bolton's annuity of £5 12s. for two poor widows not receiving parochial relief. Marrick Park and Marrick Lodge are the principal residences. Francis Morley, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"HURST, a hamlet in the parish of Marrick, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Reeth."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013