Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades for MARRICK in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post Office, Marrick; Miss M. Langstaff, postmistress. Letters via Richmond daily, per foot messenger, from Marske, at 10-25 a.m. There is a despatch every morning at 7-20. Letters for Hurst arrive by foot post via Reeth, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; and the Wall Letter Box at the Board School is cleared on the same days at 12-0 noon.
MEMBERS OF THE MARRICK UNITED DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD.
- T. Bainbridge, chairman;
- W. Hodgson, vice-chairman; T. Dinsdale, C. Davison, and J. Hillary.
- Clerk to the Board, Francis J. Greathead, solicitor, Reeth.
- Meetings are held once a month, alternately, at Marrick and at Hurst.
Miscellany of trades
Marked 1 reside at Hurst; the rest at Marrick, or where specified.
- Blenkiron Mrs. Jane, Walker house
- 1 Cleminson George, miner
- 1 Fawcett Joseph, shopkeeper and farmer & vict., Dragon Inn
- Hakin John, grocer and road contractor
- 1 Hillary Thomas, joiner
- Hodgson Thomas, vict. and farmer, High Inn
- Hurst and New Forest Board School; Wm. C. Brittain, master (1)
- Ingram John, cowkeeper
- Jackson Mr. George
- Marrick Board School; George Lee, master and assistant overseer
- Mason Rev. John Wharton, B.A., The Vicarage
- 1 Metcalfe Mr. William
- Teasdale William, blacksmith
- Waggett Mr. Ralph
- Waggett William Anthony, agent to Colonel Francis Morley, Park lodge
- Whitell, Jane, shopkeeper
- Whitelock C., vict. and butcher, White Horse Inn
- 1 Yorkshire Lead Mining Co., Ltd., Hurst mines
- Alsop Edward, Green house
- Bainbridge Robert, Marrick abbey
- Bell William, Marrick lodge
- Brown Christopher, Low Oxque
- Brown James Chapman, Green house
- Brown John, Ing Head
- Brown Robert, Pry house
- Coates John Chapman, High Oxque
- Coates Thomas, Nun-Cote-Nook
- Dinsdale Thomas, Owlands
- 1 Dolphin Mrs, John (and stonemason, &c.)
- 1 Frankland Thomas, junr. (and gamekeeper)
- 1 Frankland Thomas, senr.
- Graham George, Stelling
- 1 Guy William, schoolmaster, Pasture
- 1 Hillary (Mrs. J.) & Alsop (F.) Gath Head
- 1 Hillary J. (and stonemason, &c.), Slack hills
- Hindson Thomas
- 1 Hodgson James
- Hodgson W. (yeo., and overseer and guardian)
- 1 Hodgson William, The Green
- 1 Hodgson Wm. (and shoemaker), Roan house
- Horn Mrs. Elizabeth, Marrick moor
- Horne John (and butcher), Barf house
- Ireland Thomas, Marrick park
- Metcalfe Thomas
- Peacock John
- Peacock William, Reals Head
- Pinkney Henry (and joiner), Wood house
- 1 Retallick John & Sons
- 1 Robinson James, Tongue hill
- Siddle William, Manor house
- Stubbs James, Stelling
- Whitelock Robert (yeo.), Ellers farm
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.