[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARSKE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles W. of Richmond, The church is dedicated to St. Edmund (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of John Hutton, Esq. incumbent the Rev. James Tate. Here is a school erected in 1814, by John Hutton, Esq. and allowed £20. per annum for the instruction of the poor children belonging to the parish. Pop, 290.
The patronage of this church has been in the family of Hutton ever since 1598, when Matthew Hutton, archbishop of York, purchased this estate. -In the grounds of J. Hutton, esq. is an obelisk, which covers the body of Matthew Hutton, formerly a captain in the army, who dying in the year 1813 at Macclesfield, requested his executors to bury him in this place, where, when a boy, he had often sat, enchanted with the beauties of this mountainous Country.
At Marske, was born, January 5, 1692-3, Dr. Matthew Hutton, archbishop of Canterbury. -He went to school at Kirkby-Hill, near Richmond, in 1702, under the care of the Rev. Mr. Lloyd, ( of Jesus College, Cambridge,) whom he accompanied to Ripon, on his being appointed Master there in 1704, and remained under his tuition 6 years. -He was admitted at Jesus College, Cambridge, in 1710. took his degree of B. A. at that College, 1713, and in the same year was made chaplain to the Duke of Somerset. At a proper age he was ordained Deacon, by Bishop Fleetwood; and elected Fellow of Christ's College, in 1717, and in the same year M. A. -in 1721 he was rector of Trowbridge in Wiltshire. In 1720 became rector of Spofforth in this County. He was made Prebendary of York, by archbishop Blackburn, was appointed one of the chaplains to George II. and went with his Majesty to Hanover, in 1736. He obtained a Canonry of Windsor in 1737; exchanged May 15, 1739 for a Prebend of Westminster; which he resigned in 1746, when he became Bishop of Bangor. In December 1745, he was translated to the archbishoprick of York; and April 1757 to that of Canterbury: He died at Duke Street, Westminster in 1758, aged 65, and lies buried at Lambeth, near the communion Table.
The Family of Hutton of Marske is the only one in this kingdom who can be said to have yielded to the church two English archbishops, who both appear to have been great and good Prelates," and that within two centuries of each other. The first Matthew Hutton becoming Archbishop of York in 1595, and the second Archbishop of York in 1747 and Canterbury in 1757.
Matthew of York left a Son, Sir Timothy, who was High Sheriff in 1607. --Drake"
"CLINTS, (the seat of Thomas Errington, Esq.) in the township and parish of Marske; ¼ mile NW. of Marske, 5 miles from Richmond and Reeth.
The time when this mansion was built we are not acquainted with, but from its appearance it is doubtless of great antiquity. It formerly belonged to the family of Willans, from whom it passed to the Bathursts, and from them to the late Sir Charles Turner, who sold it to Miles Stapleton, Esq. of whom the present proprieter purchased it. -Angus'views."
"FELDOM, (Low and East), 2 farm houses in the parish of Marske, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¼ miles NNE. of Marske, 6 miles NW. of Richmond. (2002: this area is used as an army firing range and contains much unexploded ammunition and should be avoided. It is marked as 'Danger Area' on most maps.)"
"ORGATE, a farm house in the township and parish of Marske; 1 mile NW. of Marske, 5 miles from Reeth, 7 from Richmond."
"SKELTON, in the parish of Marske, wapentake of Gilling West, and Liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile WNW. of Marske, 5½ miles W. of Richmond. Thomas Errington, Esq. of Clints Hall, resides in this village."
"TELFIT, a farm house in the parish of Marske, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¾ miles NW. of Marske, 7 miles W. of Richmond."
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Marske: 1841, 1851, 1891, 1901
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marske.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marske to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ104005 (Lat/Lon: 54.399865, -1.841314), Marske which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Roll of Honour in St. Edmund's Church, Marske.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: