Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: REDCAR. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Langbarugh Liberty, E.D. -Population 729, vide Marske ; Chapel-room, 700 *1; Net value, £50.
Ivo de Grancestre confirmed to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, the land given by his father and mother whereon to build a Chapel ; but the present Chapel was only built a few years ago.
Peter de Brus, the third of that name, granted the Monks of Rievaulx the liberty of buying fish at Redcar, and carrying it through the ways in all his lordships.
Patron and impropriator, the Earl of Zetland.
Augmented in 1830, with £1,000, -by lot ; and in 1832 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Lord Dundas.
An Inclosure Act was passed 27th and 28th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
Register Books. -No Return.
Parochial Charities, vide Marske.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Burton's Monasticon, pages 196. 351. 362. Graves' Cleveland, page 385.
*1 700 sittings (of which 408 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a Grant of £500.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.