MARSKE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MARSKE, a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 5½ miles W. of Richmond, its post town, and 3 E. of Reeth. It is situated on the river Swale, which rises in Hope Moor, and contains the hamlets of Feldon and Skelton.' The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. There are some brick kilns. A great portion of the land is in wood and moor, the remainder is pasture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £91. The parish church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is an ancient stone edifice, with an open belfry containing two bells. The interior of the church contains a font of great antiquity. The register dates from 1622. There is also a district church at Redcar, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £50. The parochial charities produce about £89 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. Marske Hall is the principal residence. In the grounds a short distance from the village stands an obelisk, 60 feet high, to Captain Matthew Hutton, bearing the date of his death, 1813. Timothy Hutton, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
"FELDOM, a hamlet in the parish of Marske, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Richmond."
"SKELTON, a hamlet in the parish of Marske, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Richmond."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013