Marton Cum Moxby
The Ancient Parish of MARTON CUM MOXBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARTON CUM MOXBY, (and Marton Lordship) a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 5 miles E. of Easingwold. Here is a small church (see Churches for photograph), wherein divine service is performed once a fortnight from Easter to Michaelmas, but not at all from Michaelmas to Easter; the living is a vicarage, of which the Archbishop of York, is the patron, and the Rev. D. Duck, the incumbent. Pop. including Moxby, 164.
Bertram de Bulmer in, the time of king Stephen, founded here a Monastery dedicated to St. Mary, for men and women of the order of St. Austin; but the Nuns not long after, were removed to Molesby. It was valued at 151L. 5s. 4d. Dugdale. 183L. 2s. 4d. Speed.
The little that remains of this house is only to be found in and near to a farm house bearing the name of Marton-Abbey. In 34 Henry VIII. 1543, the site was granted to the Archbishop of York, in exchange for other lands. -Burton."
"MOXBY, a farm house in the parish of Marton cum Moxby and wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 1 mile SSW. of Marton cum Moxby, 3 miles E. of Easingwold."
- Stillington and District Community Archive is a project to create an archive for Stillington and its 'sister' communities, Marton and Moxby. Its a long term project which is still in it's infancy, but is progressing well.
- Transcript of the entry for Marton cum Moxby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marton cum Moxby.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marton Cum Moxby to another place.
- In 1887 the township of Farlington (a part in this parish and a part in the parish of Sheriff Hutton) was constituted a distinct parish. See Farlington Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE600683 (Lat/Lon: 54.107093, -1.083814), Marton Cum Moxby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: