MARTON CUM MOXBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"MARTON CUM MOXBY, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Easingwold, containing, with the chapelry of Moxby, 164 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. A priory of Augustine canons and nuns, the latter of whom soon after removed to Moxby, was founded here, in honour of St. Mary, by Bertram de Bulmer, who lived in the reigns of Stephen and his successor, the revenue of which at the dissolution was £183. 2. 4. The nunnery at Moxby, which was erected before 1167, by Henry IT., in honour of St. John, the Apostle and Evangelist, had at the dissolution a revenue of £32. 6. 2."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]