MARTON CUM MOXBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MARTON CUM MOXBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles E. by S. of Easingwold, its post town, and 12 from York. It is a small and irregularly built village, situated in the old Forest of Galtres, and on the E. side of the river Foss. There was formerly an Austin priory, founded here in the reign of Stephen, by Bertram of Bulmer. The revenue was valued at the Dissolution at £150, and granted to the Archbishop of York. It includes the hamlet of Moxby, where was a nunnery, founded by Henry II., which, at the Dissolution, had a revenue of £32 6s. 2d. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Farlington, in the diocese of York. The church is an ancient stone structure of small dimensions. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor, and principal landowner."
"MOXBY, a hamlet in the parish of Marton cum Moxby, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Easingwold. A Benedictine nunnery formerly stood here, founded by Henry IL prior to 1167. It had at the Dissolution a revenue of £32 6s. 2d., and was given to the Archbishop of York."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013