[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MELSONBY, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles N. of Richmond: a retired agricultural village. The Church is a rectory dedicated to St. James (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Richmond, diocese of Chester; the living is in the gift of the University of Cambridge. Here is a school for eight poor children, endowed with £21. per annum. Pop. 440."
"DIDDERSLEY GRANGE, (now High Grange - 2005) a farm house in the township and parish of Melsonby; 1 mile W. of Melsonby, 5 miles from Richmond, 7 from Darlington (Dur.)
Didderston or Diddersley-hill, by Bede called Willfarus Dun, is memorable for the dispersion of King Oswin's army, and the melancholy catastrophe that succeeded it at Ingethingrum or Gathly. Opposite is another mount of a conical form, called Clack-hill. King Oswin's life atoned for his inauspicious temerity, by ostensibly appearing to combat Oswin's army, so exceedingly superior to his own. -Archaeol. vol. x. p½5. -Cade"
"HANG BANK, in the township and parish of Melsonby; 5 miles from Darlington, (Dur.) 6 from Richmond, 7 from Catterick, it is a small public-house, and well known as a repository for coals."
- Transcript of the entry for Melsonby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Melsonby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Melsonby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ197083 (Lat/Lon: 54.469689, -1.69755), Melsonby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: