[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MIDDLEHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 9 miles from Leyburn, 8 from Masham, and 9 from Bedale. Fairs, Nov. 5 and 6 for horned cattle and sheep. Principal Inn, White Swan. Population 880. The Church is a rectory dedicated to St. Mary, value 15L. 9s. 4½d. Patron, the King. It is a deanry and royal peculiar." (There is further information for Middleham).
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Middleham: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Middleham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Middleham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middleham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE127876 (Lat/Lon: 54.28388, -1.806431), Middleham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: