Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MIDDLEHAM.     Church dedication: ST. MARY AND ST. ALKELD.     Church type: A Deanery and royal peculiar jurisdiction.

Area, 2,400 acres. Hang West wapentake. -Population, 914 ; Church-room, no return ; Net value, £445. *1

In the time of King Stephen, Osbert the sheriff gave to the Monks of Durham the Church of Middleham.

On the 21st February, 17th Edward IV., the King, at the request of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, granted license to establish a College at Middleham, to consist of a Dean, six Chaplains, four Clerks, six Choristers, and also one Clerk to celebrate in the parish Church there, for the good estate of the said King, Elizabeth his Queen, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and Anne his wife, while they lived, and for their souls after they should depart this life, and for the souls of Richard, Duke of York, their father, &c.; and that they should be a body corporate by the name of, The Dean and Chaplains of the College of Richard Duke of Gloucester, at Middleham, and on the 6th August, 1478, a commission issued to establish the college.

On the 24th May, 1481, Archbishop Rotherham exempted this Collegiate Church, and all the Ministers, parishioners, and inhabitants of the town from all ordinary, archiepiscopal, and metropolitan, and other ecclesiastical jurisdiction, from all nomination and vocation by appeal or Querele, and from all visitation, correction, and power, belonging to him or his successor. All which was confirmed by the Dean and Chapter of York, on the 12th April, 1482.

Patron, the Crown.

Valued in the King's Books, at £13. 9s. 4½d.

The deanery house is fit for residence.

There was a Chantry here at the altar of St. Mary, for the soul of John Cartmell, sometime Rector of this Church.

The Register Books commence in 1604 ; mutilated 1681-1703.

Charities:
Poor's estate. 7a. and three cattle-gates.

R. Dixon's charity. rent charge of 40s. per annum, for apprenticing poor boys.

W. Tennant's charity, by will, 1792. Dividends on £50. Navy Fives, for teaching two poor boys.

R. Pickering's, by will, 19th January, 1602. 20s. per annum, payable out of a house in Ripon, in the possession of Richard Skaife : payment discontinued for many years. -Vide 7th Report, page 702.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1249. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bodleian MSS., No. 8518. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Medelai), pages 108. 199. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. i. page 330. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxiv. page 318.


Notes:
*1 The officiating Minister and officers receive out of the yearly revenue £120, and the Dean the remainder.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.