Places of Worship.
- Parish Church - Rev. J. G. B. Knight; Sundays, 10-30 a.m., 6-30 p.m.; daily, 10 a.m.
- Primitive Methodist - Rev. J. C. Livesey; Sundays, 2-0 p.m., 6-30 p.m.; Thursdays, 7-0 p.m.
- Wesleyan - Rev. W. A. Phillips; Sundays, 10-30 am., 6-30 p.m.; Mondays (alternate), 7-30 p.m.
Public Offices, Institutions, &c.
- Assistant Overseer and Collector of Taxes - John Barker, senr.
- Middleham Gas and Coke Co., Ltd. - William Anton, sec. and manager
- Parish Clerk and Sexton - James Rumford
- Police Station - Daniel Daniels, acting sergt.
- Reading and Recreation Rooms - W. Swale, hon. sec. and treas.; open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Registrar of Births and Deaths - J. Barker, junr.
- Town Crier, Castle Keeper, and Pinder - James Rumford
- Town Hall - Christopher Hall, caretaker
- Waterworks Officer - William Swale
Conveyance to and from Leyburn.
- Busses from the White Swan Hotel, and Thomas Morgan's, to meet all trains
- To Leyburn - Daily, Peter Yeoman
- To Masham, Ripon, and Leeds - Thursdays, at 8-0 a.m.; William Siddal. Returns from Leeds on Fridays, at 12-30 p.m.; Ripon, Saturdays, 9-0 a.m.; Masham, 1-0 p.m.
- To Richmond - Saturdays, at 6-0 a.m.; Thomas Walker. Returns at 1-0 p.m.
- Post, Money Order, Telegraph, Assurance and Annuity, and Inland Revenue Stamp Office - Henry Brown, postmaster. Letters arrive from London and all parts via Bedale at 8-0 a.m. and 5-20 p.m., and are despatched at 5-0 p.m. The office is open for ordinary business and sale of postal orders from 7-0 a.m. to 8-0 p.m.; for telegraph business, from 8-0 a.m. to 8-0 p.m.; and for the issue and payment of money orders, from 9-0 a.m. to 6-0 p.m. Saturdays, till 8-0 p.m. On Sundays the office is open, for the sale of stamps, delivery of letters to callers, and telegraph business, from 8-0 to 10-0 a.m.
Miscellany of trades
- Anton John, printer and newsagent
- Barker John, junr., registrar of births and deaths, Middleham district
- Barker John, senr., assistant overseer and collector of taxes
- Barrow Mrs. Mary, The Mount
- Birch Mrs. M. F., Glasgow house
- Brown Henry, postmaster
- Busfield Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, Castle hill
- Cockcroft John, M.D., medical officer and public vaccinator, Middleham eastern, and Leyburn western districts, Market place
- Cockcroft William, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., medical officer and public vaccinator, Middleham western district, Kirkgate
- Croft Angelo James (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft Henry Linley (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft James (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft Samuel (S. Croft & Sons)
- Dawson Miss Mary, West cottage
- Dawson Thomas (J. Dawson & Sons), draper
- Drislane John, trainer
- Edmundson G., M.R.C.V.S., veterinary surgeon
- Fitch Henry Edward, florist, Market place
- Groves Mrs. Fanny, Toby cottage
- Handley Mrs. Fanny, Peartree house
- Hogg Mr. Thomas
- Johnson Mr. Henry
- Jones Miss Hannah
- Knight Rev. John George Bury, M.A. (diocesan inspector of schools and surrogate), The Rectory
- Livesey Rev. Jph. Chas. (Primitive Methodist)
- Longbotham Mrs. Elizabeth, Jessamine house
- Longbotham John, chemist, Market place
- Lye Miss Mary Helen, Peartree house
- Maughan Hugh, solicitor, deputy sheriff North Riding of Yorkshire, Neville hall
- Maughan Thomas, Esq., Neville hall
- Miller John Ernest, sporting correspondent
- Other Mrs. Christopher
- Other Thomas, Esq., The Grove
- Peacock Matthew Dobson, gentleman rider and farmer, Manor house
- Pepperday Mrs. Mary
- Phillips Rev. William Allen (Wesleyan)
- Roantree T. H. L. (Roantree & Son), saddler
- Seddon Mr. William, Rose cottage
- Sturdy Miss Elizabeth
- Swale John, farmer, Market place
- Swale Thomas Edward, farmer, chairman Board of Guardians and Rural Sanitary Authority Leyburn Union, Kirkgate house Swale William, wine and spirit merchant, Market place
- Topham Miss Annie, Middleham house
- Whaley Miss Anne, The Priory
- Winter Mr. John Hampton
TRADES AND PROFESSIONS.
Academies & Schools.
- Auton Miss Mary, Clarendon house
- Birch Memorial; John Cunningham, master; Miss E. Hume, asst. mistress; Mrs. Mary H. Jackson, mistress (Infants)
- Calvert Mrs. Sarah
- Kirkbride John
Boot and Shoe Makers and Dealers.
Marked (d) are dealers only.
- d Binks Thomas
- d Clarkson John
- Croft Benjamin
- Dinsdale William
- Nicholson Charles Robert
- Watson John
- Ryles Thomas
- Tennant William James
- Thorpe James
- Bowes Thomas Other (and temperance hotel)
- Harrison Orlando (Saturdays); h Carlton
- Simpson James, sen., and Son (John), (Wednesdays and Saturdays); h Carlton
Carriers & Cartowners.
Marked (c) is cartowner only.
- Morgan Thomas
- Siddall W. (and butter factor)
- c Walker John
- Walker Thomas
- Yeoman Peter
- Coates William (and implement maker), Kirkgate
- Storey John, and vict., White Swan
Drapers and Grocers.
Marked (d) is draper only.
- Croft Mrs., Kirkgate
- Dawson J. & Sons, Market pl
- Johnson Mrs. A. Edmondson
- d Tennant John Handley, Victoria house
- Allen Miss Elizabeth Hannah
- Howe Mrs. Margaret
- Taylor Miss Annie
- Walker Mrs. Jonathan
- Watson Miss Annie
- Ashton Thomas
- Blades G. (and mail contractor)
- Coates William, Brough's farm
- Croft John Thomas
- Heslop William, Gelpool; h Leyburn
- Horne William and John, West Park; h Preston
- Horner John, Sharp Hill farm
- Morton William
- Peacock Matthew Dobson, Manor House Stud farm
- Swale Thomas Edwd. & John, The Parks
- Walker Christopher
- Walker Thomas
Hotels and Inns.
- Black Bull; Edward Severs
- Black Swan; Edward Lowis
- Castle; Thomas Lofthouse
- Commercial; Henry Beswick
- Golden Lion; Mrs. D. Dinsdale
- White Swan (and posting); John Storey
- Fire Insurance Association; J. Turner, Kirkgate
- Phoenix; J. Barker, Market pl
- Prudential; William Bywell, Church street
- Scottish Equitable; Henry L. Croft
- Yorkshire Fire and Life; Mrs. A. E. Johnson
- Calvert William
- Clarkson Christopher
- Clarkson John
- Lambert Matthew
Painters & Plumbers.
- Collinson Dobson
- Croft Angelo James, senior
- Croft S. & Sons (and ironmgs.)
Saddlers and Harness Makers.
- Roantree & Son, Market pl. - (See Advt.)
- Taylor Thomas
- Allen Mrs. Alice
- Anderson John Henry
- Binks Thomas
- Clarkson John
- Pratt Mrs. Elizabeth
- Siddall Mrs. Ellen
- Tennant William James
- Wilson Mrs. Annie
Tailors & Outfitters.
- Bywell William
- Mudd Thomas
- Rumford James
- Atkinson David, turf reporter
- Cartwright J., marine store dlr.
- Dandridge James, greengrocer
- Dixon Geo., castrator, Sonskue house
- Dobbie John, turf reporter
- Dobson John, watchmaker
- Handley Miss Eliza, cowkeeper and milk seller
- Ibbotson Henry, sugar boiler
- Lee William, horse breaker
- Turner Jas., solicitor's clerk, Kirkgate
- Varo Miss A. E., invalids' nurse
- Whitfield H., vet, surgeon
- Winn William, gardener
- Wray James Robinson, hairdresser, tobacconist, and fishing tackle dealer
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.