The Ancient Parish of MIDDLESBROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MIDDLESBROUGH, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 5 miles ENE. of Stockton. There was an ancient chapel here, dedicated to St. Hilda, which was dependent on the church at Stainton; but, on the grant thereof to the Abbey of Whitby, confirmed by King Henry I. and by Thurstan, Archbishop of York, it was severed from the mother church, and made parochial. It was certified to the governors of the bounty of Queen Anne at £6., per annum, and has since had three augmentations, by lot, laid out in lands, which produce an income of about £40. a year: Thomas Hustler, of Acklam hall, Esq. is the patron, and nominates the curate. The chapel has been long in ruins, and nothing of it now remains the site, together with the chapel yard, which is still used occasionally as a burying place by the inhabitants, lies open, and uninclosed from the adjoining grounds. Population, 40.
Here was a cell subordinate to the abbey of Whitby. In 1120, Robert de Brus gave the church of St. Hilda, at Middlesburgh, with 2 caracutes, and 2 oxgangs of land at Newham, to the monks of St. Peter and St. Hilda, at Whitby. By the valuation taken 26, Henry VIII. its revenues amounted to 21L. 3s. 8d. per annum; and its site was granted 1546 to Thomas Reeve, Esq. --Dugdale. --Burton. --Tanner.
If the Dunum Aestuarium of Ptolemy, be the estuary of the Tees, Middlesburgh, on the Yorkshire coast, says Cade, may have been the Roman town."
"LINTHORPE, in the parishes of Acklam and Middlesbrough, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh ; 1 mile SSW. of Middlesbrough, 7 miles NNW. of Stokesley. Population, 196."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Columba's Church, Middlesbrough.
- The Quaker Friends Meeting House, Middlesbrough.
- All Saints Church, Middlesbrough.
- Linthorpe Methodist Church, Middlesbrough.
- St. John the Evangelist's Church, Middlesbrough.
- The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Linthorpe.
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Linthorpe.
- An old drawing of the Unitarian Church, Middlesbrough.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Middlesbrough.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middlesbrough to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ495201 (Lat/Lon: 54.573701, -1.235808), Middlesbrough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Middlesbrough.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: