MIDDLETON TYAS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MIDDLETON TYAS, (or Middleton Tyas with Kneeton) a parish in the wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Richmond, its post town, and 5 from Catterick. The parish, which is large, is situated on the great road leading from Catterick Bridge, across the river Swale, to Pierce Bridge, crossing the Tees into the county of Durham. The parish includes the township of Moulton, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is clay on a limestone subsoil. The impropriation belongs to the Hartley family. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £705, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1541. There is a parochial school for both sexes supported by voluntary contributions. Middleton Lodge, East Hall, and Morris House, are the principal residences. Leonard Lawley Hartley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HIGH GATERLEY, (and Low Gaterley) hamlets in the township of Moulton and parish of Middleton Tyas, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Richmond."
"KNEETON, a hamlet in the parish of Middleton Tyas, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Richmond. Kneeton Hall is the principal residence. The village is considerable."
"MOULTON, a township in the parish of Middleton-Tyas, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 1½ mile S.W. of Middleton-Tyas, and 4½ miles N.E. of Richmond. It is a station on the Richmond and Darlington branch of the North-Eastern railway. The township includes the hamlets of High and Low Gaterley. There is a small chapel-of-ease, with a tower containing one bell. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013