MytonUponSwale, Plaque transcription:
The The Church History
of St. Mary's Myton upon Swale.
History of the Church
The church is of a Norman foundation, possessing a 13th century chancel and nave.
The exact date of the tower is not known but it was definitely built within the
early 13th century church probably from the 15th century. The West wall of the
tower was built on top of the existing wall. The church was practically rebuilt
in the 17th century and heavily restored in 1887-88. The latter work included
rebuilding the East wall of the chancel and the South wall of the nave- converting
the windows from pointed to square- new roof on the nave and pinnacles on the tower.
New pews were made by local craftsmen and a heating system was installed. The
architect for this work was Hodgson Fowler of Durham. The church was re-dedicated by
the Archbishop of York on 4th April 1888.
Other additions include the organ in memory of Major Stapylton after 1897.
The porch was a memorial built in 1908. Oak Reredos carved by Mr Gibson 1904.
The clock was installed in 1920 as a 1914-18 war memorial.
Items of Interest :-
Excellent 13th centuy North Arcade with trefoil and quatrefoil inserts.
Blind Niche window with detashed columns in South wall of the Chancel.
Transitional window in the North wall of the Chancel.
Two paintings on canvas on each side of the East window, one of the Crucifixion,
the other of the Angel appearing before the soldiers signed by C.H Schwanfelder 1805.
These paintings are both of interest and value.
The tower, which is built of brick faced with stone, is not square being wider from
North to South than from East to West.
Early 18th century altar rails and chancel arch rails. The Priest's stall incorporates
old batasters from the 18th century railing though the bulk of the work is Victorian.
The carved pew ends were done by a local joiner Thomas Gibson,- his name is
engraved in small print in the middle of the pulpit.
Late 18th century memorial tablet on the South wall of the chancel.
Private pew to the Stapylton family.
Superbly lettered prayer and commandment boards on the West wall of the Nave.
Five hatchment boards.
Stained glass East window by C.E. Kempe of London.
North Transept window by Comper.
The Moses and Aaron windows at south end of North aisle is 18th cent. by Pecket.
Medieval coffin lid set in West wall of the Tower with foliated cross.
The upper floor of the tower contains three bells set in an oak "A" frame of 1805 date.
Two of the bells bear the following inscriptions :-
"Thomas Mears & Son, London 1805.
The third tenor bell bears the-inscription :-
"These bells were the gift of Sir Martin Stapylton Bart 1805, Matt Curtiss,
R.D. Smith ; church wardens, Thomas Mears & Son of London Fecit".
The pinnacles put on the tower in 1888 had to be removed about 1975 because they
were in danger of falling.
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson.