Newton Under Roseberry
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NEWTON UNDER ROSEBERRY, also known as Newton, or Newton in Cleveland, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 5 miles NE. of Stokesley. The church is a small ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), and the living a perpetual curacy of which the Rev John Thompson is the incumbent. Population 119."
"ROSEBERRY TOPPING, a hill in the parish of Newton under Roseberry, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile ESE. of Newton under Roseberry, 3 miles S. of Guisborough; a very steep mountain, covered with verdure from its base to the summit; it is seen at a great distance, and serves as a land mark for sailors. Near the top is a fine spring of excellent water; to the north west is the beautiful vale of Cleveland, with the county of Durham; to the east a view of the German ocean; and to the south the prospect is bounded by a chain of hills, rising above each other in majestic succession. Roseberry Topping is supposed to have been the Mars of the Saxons, as Freeburgh hill, within three miles of it, was said to have been their Venus. The altitude of Roseberry Topping is 1488 feet above the level of the sea."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Newton under Roseberry in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Newton under Roseberry.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Under Roseberry to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ569133 (Lat/Lon: 54.511821, -1.122665), Newton Under Roseberry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: