NEWTON UNDER ROSEBERRY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"NEWTON UNDER ROSEBERRY, a parish in the W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 4½ miles N.E. of Stokesley, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Pinchinthorpe railway station. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the road to Guisborough, and near the source of the river Tees. The celebrated Roseberry Topping in this parish is a pyramidal mountain, rising 1,488 feet above sea-level. Its base is composed of an immense stratum of alum rock, and from the summit a view is commanded over the vale of the Tees, and a considerable part of the county of Durham. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. About half of the land is arable, a fourth pasture, and the remainder woodland and moorland common. There are quarries of blue whinstone, chiefly used for the repair of the roads. The appropriation belongs to the Archbishop of York. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £45. The church is a small ancient edifice. There is a parochial school, built in 1838."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013