Newton Upon Ouse
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NEWTON UPON OUSE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 7 miles S. of Easingwold. Here is a handsome church (see Churches for photograph); the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. Earle, incumbent the Rev. John Gatenby. Here are also two chapels, viz. Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Pop. 495."
"BENINGBROUGH, in the parish of Newton upon Ouse, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1.74 miles SSE. of Newton upon Ouse, 8 miles NW. of York. Here is Beningbrough Hall, the seat of Mrs. Margaret Earle, of the ancient family of the Bouchiers, who came into England with William the Conqueror. Pop. 99."
"LINTON ON OUSE, in the parish of Newton upon Ouse, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1 mile WNW. of Newton upon Ouse, 7 miles S. of Easingwold. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel, and a school with a small endowment. Population, 268."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The an account of the Benefactions in All Saints Church, Newton on Ouse.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Newton upon Ouse in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Newton upon Ouse.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Upon Ouse to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE511599 (Lat/Lon: 54.032564, -1.221335), Newton Upon Ouse which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque, Back Lane, Newton upon Ouse.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: