Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NEWTON UPON OUSE. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 4,590 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 844 *1; Church-room, 350 *2; Net value, £97. This Church, together with a great part of the town, was given to the Hospital of St. Leonard, in York, by Richard de Kolthorpe, and afterwards appropriated to it, but no ordination of a Vicarage is extant.
Mr. Torre gives the institution of one Rector in 1229.
The patronage and impropriation, after the Dissolution, came to the Bouchiers, from whom it passed to the Earles, and now to the Lords Downe.
Valued in the King's books, where it is called a Vicarage, at £6. 6s. 8d.; in 1707, at £43. 6s.; and in 1818, at £90 per annum.
Augmented by lot in 1819, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant.
The parish is within the diocese of York, but the Court Leet and Court Baron of the Manor of Newton with Benningbrough, exercises, by prescription, the right of granting Probates of Wills and Administrations of persons dying within the Manor, except when the deceased left bona notabilia. The wills, &c. were formerly kept in the Evidence-room at Benningbrough Hall, but, previous to the return in 1829, had been removed to the Steward's Office, in York. The list of those extant commences in 1613.
Inclosure Acts were passed 31st Geo. II. and 59th Geo. III. (1758) and £40 per annum settled upon the Curate.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1651.
Lund's, and other gifts. The benefaction of £50 left by Mr. Thomas Lund for the poor of the whole parish ; £50 by Mr. Bouchier, for the poor of Newton township ; £100 left by Mrs. Bouchier, £10 by Mr. John Robinson, and £30 by Mr. Gabriel Priestman, for the township of Benningbrough ; and £50 left by Mrs. Bouchier, for the poor of Linton township, were laid out together in the purchase of £497. 15s. 4d. three per cent. consols, in the names of Giles Earle, Esq., James Ellis, John Hawking, and Robert Barton. The dividends are apportioned as follows :-Newton, £3. 8s. 2d.; Benningbrough, £7. 11s. 6d.; Linton, £3. 8s. 2d.
Robinson's and Burton's gifts. John Robinson left £5, and Benjamin Burton £50 (less £5 duty), both for the poor of Newton township ; the money is placed out, and the interest is distributed.
Robert Calvert's gift, by will, dated 19th July 1769. £20 for the poor of Newton township. The legacy was never paid, but 16s. per ann. is paid as interest by the tenants of a farm at Newton which belonged to the testator, and at the time of the report was the property of Mr. Hotham and others.
Barrington Bouchier's gift. Interest of £20 for the poor of Newton township. £11 of the principal has been lost, and £9 is in the hands of the overseers. 16s. per annum is paid as interest on the whole legacy out of the poor's rate. -Vide 8th Report, page 713.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 563. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 29. Nonae Rolls, page 243. Bodleian MS., No. 5078. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 613.
*1 Viz. Benningbrough, 93 ; Linton-upon-Ouse, 258; and Newton-upon-Ouse, 493.
*2 In 1818, estimated at 400.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.