The Ancient Parish of NORMANBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles SSE. of Kirkbymoorside. The church (see Churches for photograph) is in the patronage of Arthur Cayley, Esq. Population 191."
"ROOK BARUGH, 2 farm houses in the township and parish of Normanby, wapentake of Rydale; 1 mile WNW. of Normanby, 4 miles from Kirbymoorside."
"THORNTON RISEBROUGH, farmhouses in the parish of Normanby, and wapentake of Rydale; ¾ mile NE. of Normanby, 4 miles W. of Pickering. Pop. 32."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcriptions of the censuses from 1841 to 1911 for Normanby are to be found on Bernie Frank's Normanby in Ryedale site.
- Transcript of the entry for Normanby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The later baptisms, marriages and burials (1813 to 1949) have been transcribed by Bernie Frank and are to be found on his Normanby in Ryedale web-site.
- The parish registers from 1699 to 1812 (Baptisms and Burials) or 1837 (Marriages) have been transcribed by "Denis". This data was originally placed on the web by Paul Benyon, and Paul has asked that the pages be hosted by Genuki so that they don't "keep moving around".
Please check the alphabetical index first if you are looking for someone specific but note that the page for 1706-7 Baptisms was damaged and first names were difficult or impossible to read.
- Notes on the Parish Registers
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Normanby.
- The List of Rectors and Patrons to 1953 in St. Andrew's Church, Normanby.
- The List of Rectors from 1958 in St. Andrew's Church, Normanby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Normanby to another place.
- A History of the parish can be found on the Normanby in Rydale web-site.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE735817 (Lat/Lon: 54.225753, -0.874112), Normanby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)