Normanby, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"NORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 5 miles from Kirkbymoorside, its post town, 5 W. by S. of Pickering, and 6 from Amotherby railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Severn, and on the high road from Kirkbymoorside to Malton. The parish includes the township of Thornton-Riseborough. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a clayey nature on a subsoil of clay. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture, except 15 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £509. The church is an ancient Norman structure, with a low tower, partly rebuilt in 1718. There is a parochial school for children of both sexes, with a small endowment. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, at which a Sunday-school is also held. In the neighbourhood is a mineral spa, the water of which contains carbonic acid and a small proportion of neutral salt. S. Walker, Esq., is lord of the manor. It gives title of marquis to the Phipps family."
"THORNTON RISEBROUGH, a township in the parish of Normanby, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Pickering, and 4½ from Kirkbymoorside. The soil consists of deep loam, with a subsoil of clay and gravel. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum, which is devoted to educational purposes. Mrs. Wrangham is lady of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013