Northallerton, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1829.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"NORTHALLERTON, a borough and a market and parish-town, in the wapentake of Allertonshire, north riding, is 221 miles from London, 82 from Manchester, 32 from York, 10 froth Richmond and Stokesley, 9 from Thirsk and 8 from Bedale; situated in a delightful valley, watered by the river Wiske, and amidst lands highly cultivated; the higher grounds presenting views most extensive and luxuriant. The manufactures carried on here are linens, to a small extent, but the main trade is confined to supplying the inhabitants of the town and its vicinage with the usual articles of domestic consumption and wear. Northallerton has possessed the elective franchise since the reign of Edward I; the right of election- is rested in the burgage holders, and the present members are Sir John Beresford, of Bedale, and the Hon. Henry Lascelles, of Harewood. The Bishop of Durham is lord of the manor, who holds, by his steward, a court leet, and quarter sessions for the north riding, in the court-house, the first whole week after Christmas, the first after Easter, the 11th July and 18th October. The town is governed by a bailiff, deputed by the Bishop for life, who possesses an Office for registering deeds for the north riding. The sessions-house is a modern and handsome building, and the prison is convenient, erected on the plan recommended by the late Mr. Howard. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a spacious edifice; the benefice is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and chapter of Durham, and incumbency of the Rev. George Townsend. Here are also a chapel each for the Wesleyan and independent Methodists, a free grammar school, one upon Dr. Bell's system, and an alms-house for six poor widows. The market day is on Wednesday, and the fairs are February 14th, for horses, horned cattle, sheep, leather & woollen cloth, September 5th and 6th, and October 3d and 4th for cattle, & the second Wednesday in October for cheese. The entire parish of Northallerton contained, in 1821, 4,431 inhabitants, and the borough and township 2,626 of that number."
"BROMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Northallerton, about half a mile N. N. E. of that town, is celebrated in martial history as being the spot where was fought, in 1138, the great battle between the English forces, under William, Earl of Albemarle, and the Scots, under David, which was called 'the Battle of the Standard,' so named from the peculiar ensign which was raised by the English, and consisted of a cross at the top of a long pole, placed in a sort of wheel carriage, around which the English army formed itself in a compact body. But it was stratagem that gave to the English the victory; for the Scots king advanced to the attack with such impetuosity that he bore down all before him and penetrated to the rear of the English, who, terrified at his success began to fall into disorder, and gave way, when their total defeat was prevented by the stratagem of an old soldier, who cutting off a man's head, erected it on the point of his spear, and calling aloud, " behold the head of the Scotch king," rallied the troops and renewed the battle. The Scots, confounded at this apparition, and dispirited by the flight of the Caledonians, fought no longer with alacrity; but began to give ground in all quarters, nor could David; who fought on foot with undaunted courage, bring them back to the charge. The population of the chapelry, by the last census was 1,223."
Note: The directory entry for Brompton in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Northallerton, (in this parish).
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007