Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Nunnington

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"NUNNINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; a part of the township of Nunnington is in the parish of Stonegrave, Rydale; 5½ miles SSW. of Kirkbymoorside. This place is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Rye, and on the declivity of a hill, commanding an extensive and picturesque prospect. At the east end of the village is an ancient mansion, once the seat of Lord Viscount Preston; at a more recent date of Lord Widdrington, and now in the possession of Sir Bellingham Graham. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to All Saints; the living is a rectory, of which the King is patron, and the Rev. William Keary, the incumbent. Here are two handsome marble monuments erected to the memory of the Lords Preston and Widdrington. There is a free school in this village, founded by Ranold Graham, Esq. in 1678, and endowed by him with £6. per annum for six scholars, with £4. per annum by David Bedford, of Nunnington, for four scholars; and twenty others are annually put to school by the voluntary bounty of Sir Bellingham Graham, besides two others educated at the expense of Mr. Peacock, of London, making a total of thirty-two scholars. Mr. George Marshall, is the present master. This charity is at present under the consideration of the commissioners of charities, as it is supposed that the original endowment, was not a money payment but rental of land. Reginald Graham, Esq. also founded and endowed an hospital here in 1678, for three poor widows and three poor widowers, with £12. per annum, and £2. for the repair of the building. The inmates of the hospital receive an additional sum of twelve shillings per annum together with a new coat, stuff gown, &c. every two years, but the source from which these increased allowances arise is unknown. Population. 418."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]




Church History


Church Records





Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nunnington to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.