Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NUNNINGTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Rectory.
Area, 1,600 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 441 *1; Church-room, 200; Net value. £284. -In the town of Nunnington are seven carucates of land, four whereof were held by John de Stayngrave of John de Paynell, who held them of the King in capite, and answered for half a knight's fee.
And the other three carucates were held by Adam Gornay of the heirs of Brus, who held them of the King in capite, and answered for the fourth part of a knight's fee.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Stayngraves, from them to the Pateshulls, then to the Greens, from them to the Lords Parr, and from them by attainder to the Crown, in which the patronage still remains, and is exercised by the Lord Chancellor.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £4. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £4; and in the King's Books, at £13. 6s. 8d. per annum.
" No part of the tithes are impropriate. The Church is endowed with tithes of corn, hay, pigs, calves, foals, lambs, swarms of bees, and fleeces, in the parish ; 2d. from every communicant at Easter. A hen from every house at Martinmas, or 6d. for the same. The yearly value of the Rectory is £40, whereof the glebe, four cottages and houses, are worth £10. 10s. 10d., besides a fine of 3 lib. from each of the said cottage houses, due to every Incumbent upon his legal institution and induction." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1055.
An Inclosure Act was passed 16th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1566.
Charity Fund. This fund, amounting to £140, has arisen from sundry benefactions, and is appropriated £100 of it to the use of the poor, and £40 (which was partly given by the will of David Bedford), for the teaching of four poor children.
Hospital and School. Founded by Ranald Graham, Esq., between the years 1670 and 1678. The lord of the manor is patron. Income ; rent charge of £20 per annum. The buildings contain six rooms for the almspeople, and two rooms for the school and schoolmaster. There are small yards or gardens behind for the poor persons, and a plot of ground in the front used as a garden for the schoolmaster.
The almspeople are unmarried persons, either men or women, five of them are at present chosen from the parish of Nunnington, and one from that of Stonegrave ; and the children instructed from the school as free scholars are chosen, four from Nunnington, one from Stonegrave, and one from East Ness.
The customary allowances to the poor people are £2 a year to each, and a suit of clothes of blue serge once in two years. The stipend to the schoolmaster from the charity is £6 a year.
The number of children educated gratis has been increased to thirty-two ; six being provided for by the original charity, four by the interest of £40, part of the charity fund, twenty by the voluntary bounty of Sir B. and Lady Graham, and two by that of Mr. Peacock of Bond Street, London. -Vide 13th Report,page 617.
Post town: Helmsley.
Torre's MS., page 309. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 82. Nonae Rolls, page 240. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Nunnigetune), pages 24. 73. 187. Bodleian MS., No. 5101, (Arms, Monuments, &c.). Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 162.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 320.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.