[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OLD BYLAND, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 4½ miles WNW. of Helmsley. The church is an ancient dilapidated structure (see Churches for photograph) the living is donative, in the patronage of the Earl of Falconberg; incumbent, the Rev. Michael Mackereth; the Rev. William Dowker curate. Pop. 133."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Old Byland in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- A view of part of Old Byland village and the green.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Byland to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE549859 (Lat/Lon: 54.265822, -1.158603), Old Byland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)