Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: OLD BYLAND. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 3,120 acres. Birdforth wapentake. Population, 163 ; Church-room, 100; Net value, £55. -At the time of the Domesday Survey there was a Priest at Byland, and also a Church which was built of wood.
Old Byland contained three carucates of land, (which made a knight's fee), held by the Abbot of Byland of Hugh de Malbys, who held the same of Roger de Mowbray.
Sir John de Walkingham, Knight, Lord of Bolteby, son of Allan de Bolteby, Knight, in recompense for the injury done by his goats in Haredale, gave and quitclaimed to the Monks of Byland all right that he and his men of Bolteby had in the common pasture belonging to the town and grange of Old Byland.
The Church was given to the Abbot and Convent of Byland, by Roger de Mowbray, to which it was appropriated, but no Vicarage was ever ordained, and it is neither charged with First Fruits, Tenths, Synodals, or Procurations.
Present patron and impropriator, George Wombwell, Esq.
William de Ferrily, Archdeacon of Cleveland, on the 26th November A.D. 1365, renewed the exemption from Archidiaconal visitation which Old Byland had previously enjoyed *1.
Valued in 1707, at £14; and in 1818, at £44 per annum.
Augmented in 1772, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1809, with £200; in 1814, with £200; and in 1827, with £200 -all by lot.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, as " being too small ;" and also returned unfit in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1653 ; chasm from 1680 to 1688 inclusive.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Helmsley.
Torre's MS., page 303. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 103. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 342. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 386, &c. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 103. Burton's Monasticon, pages 67. 331. 328. Bawdwen's Domesday Book Begeland), page 155.
*1 The living having been augmented has ceased to be a Donative, and it is therefore subject to the ordinary.
*2 " A query was made by the court whether lands, parcel of the possessions of Byland Abbey, are free from tithe. -York v. Newcastell." 1 Wood, page 446.
BYLAND ABBEY. This Abbey, called in the Latin documents Bella Landa., was founded for Monks of the Cistercian order, by Roger de Mowbray, in the year 1143 *2.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.