The Ancient Parish of OSBALDWICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OSBALDWICK, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's (the residence of Mr. Hotham); 2 miles E. of York. Here is a church dedicated to St. Thomas; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Strensall, of which the Rev. John Ellis, is the incumbent. Population, 176."
"MURTON, in the parish of Osbaldwick, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's (Murton Hall, the seat of Barnard Smith, Esq.); 1¼ miles NE. of Osbaldwick, 3 miles E. of York. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) dedicated to St. James; , and, in reality, an easy chapel, as divine service is performed only a few times in the year. Pop. 134."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Thomas's Church, Osbaldwick. (With short history).
- St. James' Church, Murton (complete with external font!). (With short history).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- St. Hilda's Church, Tang Hall. (With short history).
- St. George's Methodist Church, Tang Hall. (With short history).
- St. Aelred's Roman Catholic Church, Tang Hall. (With short history).
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Osbaldwick.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Osbaldwick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE635515 (Lat/Lon: 53.955704, -1.033797), Osbaldwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE620520) Tang Hall
- This parish is covered by the following Society: