Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: OSWALDKIRK. Church dedication: ST. OSWALD. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 2,310 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 209 *2; Church-room, 300; Net value, £868. -John de Arbeuvyle and Nicholas de Barton, held in Ampleford and Oswaldkirk the fourth part of a knight's fee of Robert de Ros, who held it of the King in capite.
This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Pykerings, of Oswaldkirk for many generations. By the marriage of the heiress of that family it came to the Lords Wootton, from whom it passed to the Earls of Chesterfield, and then to the Moores and Franklands. Mrs. Mary Thompson presented in 1774, and her trustees, in 1813.
Present patrons, the trustees of the Rev. Thomas Comber.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6; and in the King's Books, at £10. 1s. 6d. per annum.
Inclosure Acts were passed 44th and 46th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1538 ; several chasms.
Lady Catherine Cholmley's charity. Rents-charge of £3, £2 per annum, and £1 per annum ; for preaching a charity sermon yearly in Newton Grange Chapel, on the 6th day of July. As the Chapel at Newton Grange has been for some time in too ruinous a state to admit of any service being performed therein, the sermon is now regularly preached in Oswaldkirk Church.
Comber's charity, vide Ampleforth. £2. 8s. is received by the overseers of this parish.
Rev. J. Pigott's charity, by will, dated 9th May 1812. Dividends on £110. 18s. 7d., late Navy Fives, paid to the parish clerk.
Fysh's, Sedgwick's, and Thompson's Charities. Mary Fysh, widow, is stated in a recital contained in a deed dated 6th March 1762, to have bequeathed £60 to the poor of Osbaldwick, which, though void in law, was paid by her executor, Dr. Ward, to Mary Thompson of Oswaldkirk, widow, to be applied to such charitable purposes as she should think fit ; and William Sedgwick also bequeathed £20 to the poor, which was also paid over to the said Mary Thompson, who, in order to secure the same, and also as an additional donation, conveyed by the deed above mentioned two closes containing together from eight to nine acres of land to trustees, on trust, to pay £4 per annum for teaching eight poor children nominated by the lord of the manor reading, writing, and arithmetic ; 10s. per annum for repairs of the schoolhouse, and the residue to poor housekeepers.
Thomas Carter's donation. Interest of £50 for augmentation of the school.
Sir Richard Vaughan's charity, vide Ampleford. 10s. per annum is paid to the poor of this parish. -Vide 11th Report, page 777.
Post town: Helmsley.
Torre's MS., page 273. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 78. Nonae Rolls, page 240. Bodleian MS., No. 5101, (Inscriptions, &c.). Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Oswaldescherea), pages 72. 121. Burton's Monasticon, page 362. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 212.
*1 King of Northumberland, who began his reign in the year 634. There was another St. Oswald, who was Archbishop of York in 972.
*2 In 1800, the Population was returned at 400.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.