OSWALDKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"OSWALDKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Helmsley, containing 212 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 1. 8., and in the patronage of William Gray, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is principally in the Norman style. Here are the remains of an old monastic edifice. Eight poor children are instructed for £4 a year, the gift of Mary Fyshe, and the charity school has an endowment of £5 per annum, by Thomas Carter. Roger Dodsworth, the antiquary, was born at Newton-Grange, in 1585; he died in 1654."
"CHAPEL GRANGE, a hamlet in the parish of OSWALDKIRK, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Helmsley. The population is returned with the parish."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]