OVER SILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"OVER SILTON, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Thirsk. It includes the township of Kepwick. The village is of small extent and chiefly agricultural. About a third of the land is moorland, and the remainder equally distributed between arable, meadow, and pasture, besides 100 acres of woodland and plantation. The Sinnington hounds meet here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £70, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
"KEPWICK, a township in the parish of Over Silton, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its railway station. It is a meet for the Sinnington hounds. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. There are extensive quarries of freestone and limestone, also lime-kilns."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013