The Ancient Parish of OVERTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OVERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 5 miles NW. of York. This was, in the Confessor's time, the Lordship of Morcar, Earl of Northumberland, who having been instrumental in subduing Earl Tasti, was, by King Edward, rewarded with many of the estates of that Earl but afterwards rebelling against the Conqueror, and these against William Rufus, he was slain by some of his own retinue, to secure themselves from the king's displeasure. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Mr. Johnson and Mrs. M. Thompson, of which the Rev. J. F. Allen, is the incumbent. Pop. 59.
At Overton, the abbots of York had their chief country residence. The old house, says Drake was standing here of late years, in the parlour of which, in 1661, Dr. Hutton read the following inscription on the wood work, post tenebras, lucem, &c. The house called Hall, continued in the crown till the 5th of Elizabeth, when, it was sold to one John Herbert. But the site of the house, with the park at Beningbrough, &c. is now part of the possessions of John Bouchier, esq. -Drake."
"SHIPTON, (and Shipton Smithy) in the parish of Overton, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles N. of Overton, 6 miles NW. of York. Here are a Methodist chapel, and a chapel of Calvinistic dissenters. Pop. 377.
A school was here endowed, by Mrs Ann Middleton, of York, with 40L. for education of the children of the freeholders only. -Her Will bears date, August 24, 1655."
"SHIPTON SMITHY, a hamlet in the township of Overton-with-Shipton, and parish of Overton, wapentake of Bulmer; 6 miles from York."
"SKELTON SMITHY, a single house in the township of Skelton and parish of Overton; 4 miles from York."
- Transcript of the entry for Overton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Overton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Overton to another place.
- In 1877 the township of Skelton (in this parish) by an Order in Council, was constituted a separate and independent parish. See Skelton Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE555557 (Lat/Lon: 53.994366, -1.154932), Overton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in The Holy Evangelist's Churchyard, Shipton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: