OVERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"OVERTON, (or Ovingham), a parish, partly in the wapentake of Bulmer, and partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of York, its post town, and 2 S.W. of Shipton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ouse, and on the line of the Great Northern railway, which passes through the parish. Here was formerly a Roman station. The parish includes the townships of Shipton and Skelton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a mixed nature, but very productive. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy* of Shipton annexed, in the diocese of York, value £214. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, has a belfry containing two bells. It was entirely rebuilt in 1855 on the site of the old one. It has a stained E. window. The register dates from 1593. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. A free school was founded in 1655 by Anne Middleton, at Shipton, at which the children of the parish are instructed."
"SHIPTON, a township in the parish of Overton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of York, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Overton. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Ouse, and on the great North road from London to Edinburgh. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of clay. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1812. The living is a perpetual curacy* annexed to the vicarage of Overton, in the diocese of York. The church has a spired tower containing three bells. It has several stained windows. There is an endowed grammar school, founded by Ann Middleton in 1655, also a National school, erected at the expense of the Honourable Lydia Dawnay. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. The Hon. Payan Dawnay is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013