[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"PATRICK BROMPTON, (or East Brompton) a parish in the wapentake of Hang East & liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles NW. of Bedale. Here is a church dedicated to St. Patrick; the living is a Perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. Here is a school endowed with about £20. per annum. Population, 158."
"ARRATHORNE, in the parish of Patrick Brompton, wapentake of Hang East; 2 miles NW. of Patrick Brompton, 5 miles SSE. of Richmond. Pop. 64."
"HUNTON, in the parish of Patrick Brompton, wapentake of Hang West, liberties of St. Peter's and Richmondshire ; 2¼ miles WNW. of Patrick Brompton, 6 miles NW. of Bedale. The Church is a perpetual curacy, (rebuilt in 1794) dedicated to St. John (see Churches for photograph), and annexed to Patrick-Brompton. Pop. 496."
"NEWTON LE WILLOWS, in the parish of Patrick Brompton wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile SSW. of Patrick Brompton, 3 miles WNW. of Bedale. Here is a small Methodist chapel. Pop. 250."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- "Newton-le-Willows - A history of a North Yorkshire Village" by the Newton-le-Willows Local History Group.
Publisher: Blaisdon Publishing, 2007, Softcover, ISBN 1902838432
- A book about the Wensleydale Railway by Tony Eaton is available.
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Hunton: 1901
- Newton-le-Willows: 1901
- Patrick Brompton: Complete from 1841 to 1901
- A transcription of the 1911 Patrick Brompton and Newton le Willows Census by Joyce Harrison.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Patrick's Church, Patrick Brompton.
- St John's Church, Hunton, disused view 1.
- St John's Church, Hunton, disused view 2.
- St John's Church, Hunton, being converted into a dwelling (2006).
- The Methodist Church, Hunton. (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Methodist Church, Newton le Willows. This Church closed in January 2006. Prior to the 1980s, the Methodist Church and the ex-primitive existed side-by-side holding services alternate weeks.
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newton le Willows. This ex-primitive chapel, although built in 1895, was a replacement for a previous chapel built in 1856 using reclaimed bricks from the first chapel. It was sold in the 1980's and was used for storage until 2007 when it was converted into a house.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Patrick Brompton to another place.
- By Order in Council, dated 11th of April, 1840, the townships of Great Crakehall and Langthorne, formerly under the jurisdiction of this parish and a part Bedale parish, became a parish in their own right. See Great Crakehall Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE220907 (Lat/Lon: 54.311426, -1.663359), Patrick Brompton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: