PATRICK BROMPTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"PATRICK BROMPTON, a parish, in the wapentakes of East and West Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Leyburn. Arrathorne, Newton-le-Willows, and Hunton are townships of this parish The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of £100, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Patrick. Here is a small free school, endowed in 1707, by Samuel Atkinson, with an income of about £20. The other parochial charities produce £7 a year."
"ARRATHORNE, (or Arrowthorne), a township in the parish of Patrick Brompton, and wapentake of East Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.E. of Leyburn."
"HUNTON, a chapelry in the parish of Patrick Brompton, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 5 miles from Catterick, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Leyburn. The village, which is large, is situated near the junction of two rivulets. This chapelry comprises parts of the townships of Hunton and Arrathorne, the latter being partly in the parish of Patrick Brompton. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Patrick Brompton, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is situated on rising ground at the E. end of the village. It is dedicated to St. John, and was rebuilt and endowed with £200 by Gregory Elsley, Esq., in 1794. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. T. Hutton, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"NEWTON LE WILLOWS, a township in the parish of Patrick-Brompton, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Bedale. It is a station on the Northallerton and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is small, but neatly built. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013