Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NEWTON. Church dedication: CHAPEL. Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.
Pickering Lythe wapentake. Population, vide Pickering ; Chapel-room, 200; Net value, vide Pickering.
Patron, vide Pickering.
Not valued in 1707 or 1818.
The Curacy of Newton was augmented in 1735, with £200; in 1764, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary Grant ; and in 1834, with £200 -all by lot *1.
No return as to glebe house.
Register Books. -No return.
Richard Poad's charity -date not given. A tenement occupied rent free by a poor person, not a parish pauper, placed therein by the overseers ; rent of 1a. 2r. of land distributed among the poor ; £7. 10s. per annum to a schoolmaster, for educating and teaching poor folks' children -eight free scholars ; 1s. 6d. per annum to the poor, charged on an old cowhouse and barn. -Vide 7th Report, page 744.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 743, see composition as to tithes with Rivaulx, Abbey. Abp. Sharp does not mention this Chapel.
*1 But query may not this be the Chapelry of Newton in the Deanery of Cleveland ?
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.