The Ancient Parish of PICKHILL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"PICKHILL, (cum Roxby) a parish in the wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 7 miles SE. of Bedale. The church is dedicated to All Saints; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Trinity College. Cambridge, and the Rev. J. R. Hunton is the incumbent. There is also a Methodist chapel here. Population, including Roxby, 334.
The nursery grounds of Mr. Thompson here, which are very extensive, have been cultivated as such for above a century by his ancestors and himself."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- The Joseph Watson's Benefactions in All Saint's Church, Pickhill.
- Transcript of the entry for Pickhill in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Pickhill.
- The List of Incumbents in All Saints Church, Pickhil.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the following:
- The list of the Vicars of Pickhill in All Saints Church.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pickhill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE346837 (Lat/Lon: 54.247823, -1.47051), Pickhill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in All Saints' Churchyard, Pickhill.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: