Hide

Pickhill, Vicars transcription

hide
Hide
Hide

Pickhill parish:

Pickhill, Vicars transcription:

The list of the Vicars of Pickhill in All Saints Church.


ALL SAINTS', PICKHILL.

Vicars of Pickhill
(From Torre's MSS. in York Registry.)
1399JOHN COKE.
1420JOHN HEKYNGTON
1440THOMAS MONYNGTHORP.
Many omitted.
(From the Registry of Chester).
1698TIMOTHY PLACE.
1710ANDREW DARLING.
1719WILLIAM HARDCASTLE.
1722JAMES TIREMAN, M.A.
1726HUGH SPENCE, M.A.
1740JOHN PARNTHER, M.A.
1771JAMES KITCHJNG, M.A.
1807THOMAS JAMES JAUMARD, M.A.
1819JOHN RAPER HUNTON
1825WILLIAM TWIGG, M.A.
(From the Registry of Ripon.)
1859JACKSON MASON, M.A.
1884ARTHUR WIGSTON HOWARD,
M.A., ram. and B.D. Dur.


The population of the parish was formerly 751 ; in 1811 it was 586, in 1881, 637 ;
in 1891, 569, made up as follows :- Pickhill with Roxby, M. 132, F. 120 (=252); Sinderby,
M. 61, F. 59 (=120) ; Ainderby Quernhow, M. 42, F. 46 (=88); Holme, M. 22, F. 25 (47);
Howe, M. 19, F. 24 (=43); Swainby, M. 9, F. 10 (=19).


Record of events

c. 800Erection of Saxon Church and Sculptured Cross in the Churchyard of Picala.
1190Erection of Norman Church, of which the South doorway and Chancel Arch still
remain, and " are the most elaborate specimens of that style now remaining in
Richmondshire." (Whitaker). See fragments of columns in Tower.
Swainby Abbey founded by Helewise, daughter of Ralph de Glanville, Chief Justiciary
of England. Removed to Coverham 25 years later.
1290Chancel enlarged and Chantry Chapel added (the sculptured effia of Knight in chancel
possibly that of Jollan de Neville or his son John).
1319Village burned by the Scots.
1410Present Tower built.
1877Church restored by George Edmund Street, and re-opened on S. Mark's Day.
1890Additional Burial Ground (given by Trinity College, Cambridge) consecrated June 23rd.


Bequests and Gifts.

1590William Grant and Anthony Byerley left 22 acres of land at Sinderby for the purpose
of "repairing and amending the Parish Church of Pickhill for ever."
1683A Silver Chalice " datum in usum Ecclesiae de Pickhill."
1694John Bickers left £80 for bread and cloth.
1731-3Mrs. Sarah Eaden left £10 for the School, and a Silver Paten for the Church.
1858Joseph Watson left £300 for the poor of Pickhill and Howe.
1865Thomas Durham left £200 for the poor of Ainderby Quernhow.
1883Rev. Jackson Mason gave Oak Reredos. Other donors have given Windows, Altar
Cross and CAdlestacks, not here enumerated.

SALUS DEO NOSTRO, QUI SEDET SUPER THRONUM, ET AGNO.


Data transcribed by
Colin Hinson.
from photography by Colin Hinson.