Hide

RICHMOND:

hide
Hide
Hide

Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)


Part 5
The Free Grammar School.


The Free Grammar School.

Erected by the burgesses of Richmond, and endowed with the lands which belonged to numerous obits, chantrys, &c., with which the town abounded, during the prevalence of the Romish religion. It is scarce necessary to mention that the school has flourished for many years under the mastership of the Rev. James Tate, whose pupils have long been notorious at Cambridge for their wrangling propensities. On his recent appointment to the dignity of Canon residentiary, of St. Paul's, his son, Mr. James Tate, was unanimously elected as his successor.

At a little distance to the left, is the National School, where two hundred and twenty boys and girls receive a useful and religious education.

To the right, on the opposite side of the river stand the humble and scattered remains of the MONASTERY OF ST. MARTINS:

Previous part Previous
part
Next part Next
part


Data transcribed from:
Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)
Scan, OCR and html software by Colin Hinson.