Hide

RICHMOND:

hide
Hide
Hide

Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)


Part 6
St. Martin's Monastery


St. Martin's Monastery

A Cell of Benedictines, belonging to the abbey of St. Mary, at York, founded in the year 1100, by Wyomar, or Wymar, Lord of Aske, and purveyor to the earl of Richmond. On the dissolution of Monasteries, it was granted by Edward VI. to Edward Fynes, Knt., Lord Clinton and Saye; and it is now the property of Mr. John Ward, of Richmond.

This Priory seems to have been erected on a contracted scale, and few of its buildings are now remaining. To the right stands a Tower, which appears to have been the principal entrance, with (perhaps) the Record Room over it. On the left is the Chapel, which is entered by a beautifully carved Anglo-Norman doorway, enriched with zig-zag mouldings, and which may be referred to a date anterior to the year 1200. The windows are also of an elegant form, but apparently of a later date. Proceeding down the hill, past the grammar school, an undulating walk, (enlivened by frequent glimpses of the castle and surrounding scenery, through the openings among the trees) leads through the Clink Bank Wood, and thence along the bank of the Swale, to the noble ruins of the Monastery of St. Agatha, usually called EASBY ABBEY:

Previous part Previous
part
Next part Next
part


Data transcribed from:
Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)
Scan, OCR and html software by Colin Hinson.