[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ROKEBY, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles SE. of Barnard Castle. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), is a rectory, in the patronage of the Crown, and the Rev. James Wilkinson, is the incumbent. The population of Rokeby, including Eggleston Abbey, amounts to 222." (There is further information for Rokeby).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Rokeby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rokeby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ073138 (Lat/Lon: 54.519444, -1.88874), Rokeby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NZ070140) Rokeby Grange
- (NZ080140) Rokeby Park
- This parish is covered by the following Society: