ROKEBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"ROKEBY, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the. county of YORK, 1 mile W.N.W. from Greta-Bridge, containing, with Eggleston Abbey, 222 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £4. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was formerly situated near the manor-house, and its site is now marked by heaps of rubbish and a few grave-stones; it was de- molished about the middle of the last century, and the present small structure erected by Sir Thomas Robinson. Rokeby is situated on the rivers Tees and Greta, and the vicinity is replete with beautiful scenery, which has been celebrated by the poetry of Sir Walter Scott and Mr. Mason, the latter of whom made it his favourite retreat. A Roman road led through the parish, and here are vestiges of an ancient encampment, near which various inscribed stones and other Roman relics have been found. In a close adjoining the embattled keep of Mortham, the ancient residence of the Rokebys, is a large tomb, removed thither from Eggleston abbey, the sides of which are ornamented with shields."
"EGGLESTON ABBEY, a township in the parish of ROKEBY, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile S.S.E. from Barnard-Castle, containing 82 inhabitants. An abbey for Premonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Mary and St. John the Baptist, was founded about 1189, by Ralph de Multon; it was re-founded in 1537, and at the dissolution its revenue was estimated at £36. 8. 3. per annum: there are still considerable remains of the buildings, part of which has been converted into cottages: the abbey church, a cruciform structure, is almost entire."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]