[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ROMALDKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles NW. of Barnard Castle. A most extensive parish, situated in Teesdale, extending from Deepdale, near Barnard Castle, to the confines of the three counties of York, Durham, and Westmoreland. This parish includes the townships of Lartington, Cotherstone, Hunderthwaite, Mickleton, Lune, Helwick, and Romaldkirk. Population, 377." (There is further information for Romaldkirk).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St Romald's Church, Romaldkirk view 1.
- St Romald's Church, Romaldkirk view 2.
- St. Cuthbert's Church, Cotherstone.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The Methodist Church, Cotherstone.
- The former Independent Chapel, Cotherstone.
- St. Lawrence's Roman Catholic Church, Lartington (now a private dwelling).
- Lartington Hall with the (former) Roman Catholic Chapel, Lartington.
- The Church of the Holy Barn, Laithkirk.
- The Primitive Methodist Church, Lunedale.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mickleton (now a private dwelling).
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Romaldkirk.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Romaldkirk to another place.
- A separate ecclesiastical parish consisting of the townships of Lunedale, Mickleton, and Holwick (formerly a chapelry under this parish), was constituted in 1845. See Laithkirk Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY994221 (Lat/Lon: 54.594085, -2.010801), Romaldkirk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NY860210) Arngill House
- (NY930180) Baldersdale
- (NZ004203) Doe Park
- (NY889215) Stackholme
- (NY962200) Thorngarth Hill
- (NZ035178) Towler Hill
- (NY901217) Wemmergill Hall (Farm)
- (NY967191) West Briscoe
- (NZ006207) Woden Croft
- This parish is covered by the following Society: