The Ancient Parish of RUDBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RUDBY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3½ miles WSW. of Stokesley; a small village, pleasantly situated near the banks of the Leven. The church is an ancient plain structure, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Hon. Lady Amherst; incumbent, Rev. Richard Shepherd. Here is a small school, with an endowment of £5 per annum, for teaching six poor children of the village. Pop. 76."
"EAST ROUNTON, in the parish of Rudby, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3¾ miles SW. of Rudby, 7 miles NNE. of Northallerton. The Chapel here is a perpetual curacy under Rudby. Patroness, Dowager Lady Amherst. Pop. 135."
"HUTTON RUDBY, or Hutton juxta Rudby, in the parish of Rudby, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ½ mile WSW. of Rudby, 4 miles SW. of Stokesley. An extensive, pleasant and populous village adjacent to the small village of Rudby, wherein is situated the parish church, there being at Hutton only a Methodist chapel, and one for the Primitive Methodists lately erected. Here is likewise a Union Sunday School, capable of containing one hundred and ten children. Linen is manufactured at this place to a considerable extent. Population, 919."
"LEVEN BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Rudby, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; 3¾ miles NNW. of Rudby, 2 miles ESE. of Yarm. The mill here is occupied by Mr. William Simpson, corn miller."
"MIDDLETON ON LEVEN, in the parish of Rudby, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles NNW. of Rudby, 4½ miles SE. of Yarm. The Chapel of Ease, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a small modern structure; patron, the Hon. Lady Amherst, and the Rev. Richard Shepherd. vicar of Rudby, officiates as curate. Pop. 111."
"SEXHOW, a small hamlet, in the parish of Rudby, and liberty of Langbargh; ½ mile SSE. of Rudby, 4 miles SW. of Stokesley. Pop. 38."
"SKUTTERSKELFE, or Leven Grove, in the parish of Rudby, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh ; 3 miles WSW. of Stokesley. Near to this village is Folly Hill, a conspicuous seamark, which may be seen at the distance of twenty leagues upon the German Ocean. Pop. 32. Now (2007) called Rudby Hall."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rudby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ472067 (Lat/Lon: 54.453506, -1.273523), Rudby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: