Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: MIDDLETON UPON LEVEN. Church dedication: ST. CUTHBERT.
Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, vide Hutton Rudby *1; Church-room, 80; Net value, vide Hutton Rudby.
Patron, vide Hutton Rudby.
Valued in 1707, at £4. 9s. 8d.; and in 1818, at £43. 13s. 6d. per annum *2.
Augmented in 1740, with £200; in 1772, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1792, with £200; in 1824, with £200; and in 1825, with £200 -all by lot.
There was no glebe house in 1818. No return in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1754: deficient 1778 and 1779. -Vide transcripts at York.
Marriages are solemnized in this Chapel, but funerals take place at Hutton Rudby.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Stokesley.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 134. Burton's Monasticon, page 350. Graves's Cleveland, page 175. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 281.
*1 Part of the township of Aislaby is in this parish. (not true! Wrong Aislaby and wrong Middleton. C.H.)
*2 Mr. Graves gives the particulars of income.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.