[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale, and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Here is a church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. John of Beverley, in the patronage of G. W. Dowker, Esq. of which the Rev. Edmund Dowker is vicar. Pop. 148."
"BRAWBY, in the parish of Salton, wapentake of Rydale, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ SE. of Salton, 5 miles SSE. of Kirkbymoorside. Population, 188."
"BROATES HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Salton; ½ mile ESE. of Salton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcriptions of the censuses from 1841 to 1911 for Salton are to be found on Bernie Frank's Normanby in Ryedale site.
- Transcript of the entry for Salton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The parish registers from 1573 to 1837 for Baptisms and Marriages have been transcribed by "Denis". This data was originally placed on the web by Paul Benyon, and Paul has asked that the pages be hosted by Genuki so that they don't "keep moving around".
- Alphabetical Index 1574 - 1736 - Brides
- Alphabetical Index 1574 - 1736 - Grooms
- Alphabetical Index 1737 - 1837 - Brides & Grooms
- Alphabetical Index 1737 - 1837 - Witness 1
- Alphabetical Index 1737 - 1837 - Witness 2
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Salton.
- The List of Vicars and Patrons in St. John's Church, Salton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Salton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE716800 (Lat/Lon: 54.210746, -0.903654), Salton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)