[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SCALBY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 3 miles N. W. of Scarborough. Here is a very ancient church, dedicated to St. Lawrence (see Churches for photograph), in the patronage of the Dean & Chapter of York, of which the Rev. Thomas Preston is vicar. Pop. 446.
Here is a small hospital for widows or widowers, containing four rooms or apartments, founded by one Christopher Kelde; but the time is not on record."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- It should be noted that Cloughton Church graveyard is some considerable distance from the Church. It is located Scarborough side of the Church itself same side of the road almost opposite the old converted chapel set back from the main road about 100yards. It's up up a muddy track with a public footpath sign at the end. Further down the road is a lane that leads to the vicarage but not easy to find. [Malcolm Pickering, October 2010.]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Laurence's Church, Scalby.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- St. Mary's Church, Cloughton. See under "Cemeteries" for the Churchyard location.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Cloughton, now a private dwelling.
- St. Mark's Church, Newby.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Staintondale.
- St. Hilda's Church, Ravenscar (view 1). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Hilda's Church, Ravenscar (view 2).
- The Methodist Church, Scalby. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Burniston. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Staintondale.
- The Quaker Friends Meeting House, Scarborough.
- St. Luke's Church, Scarborough, view 1.
- St. Luke's Church, Scarborough, view 2.
- Wreyfield Drive Methodist Church, Barrowcliff. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Northstead Methodist Church, Newby. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Newby, view 1.
- St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Newby, view 2.
- The Cemetery Chapel, Scalby.
- St. Laurence's Church, Scalby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Scalby to another place.
- In 1874 the township of Cloughton (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Cloughton Parish. https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/svc/tmach/v1/refer?res=9C04E2D9143AE633A25756C2A96E9C946596D6CF&pdf=true
- There is an interesting article from 1914 on the New York Times website about How war affects rural England written in Cloughton by the wife of Reginald Wright Kauffman (an American Author).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA015905 (Lat/Lon: 54.300036, -0.441803), Scalby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA021890) Barrowcliff
- This parish is covered by the following Society: